Using Herbs to Increase Blood Flow to the Penis
- Try ginseng. Red ginseng is said to give the nervous system a boost through ginsenosides, a natural component of the plant. While there is no conclusive scientific evidence that ginseng causes the penis to get bigger, men who took ginseng extract tablets as part of a study in South Korea experienced better sexual function after taking the supplements for several weeks.
- Ginseng contraindicates with several medications, and it can have negative side effects for people with certain cancers, heart disease, insomnia, and other disorders. Be sure to talk with your doctor before you begin taking ginkgo regularly.
- If you’re considering taking ginseng supplements, look for a supplement labeled “Korean ginseng root” and take 500 mg per day.
2. Consider ginkgo biloba. This herb is often taken to boost memory, but it also helps with blood circulation and may enhance blood flow to the penis. According to a study conducted at the University of San Francisco, ginkgo is most effective at helping men on anti-depressants that can lead to sexual dysfunction. Another study found that gingko had no effect. Scientific data is inconclusive, but since gingko enhances memory and has relatively few side effects, it might be worth a try.
- Gingko can be consumed as a tea or a supplement in the form of a capsule. Both forms of the herb are widely available in health food stores.
3. Look into taking maca supplements. This powder is known for being an aphrodisiac. It contains the phytochemicals macamides and macaenes, which are said to boost energy and help men maintain erections. Because no conclusive scientific studies have been conducted on this substance, it’s best to proceed with caution. Be sure to discuss it with your health experts before you start adding this supplement to your daily routine.
4 .Consider taking L-arginine. This is an amino acid that leads to increased blood flow, helping the penis get larger during an erection. It’s available in natural food stores, and the recommended dose is 1 gram (0.035 oz), 3 times a day.
- This supplement should not be taken if you’re on nitroglycerin for your heart, because it can cause a drop in blood pressure. Talk with your doctor about whether you should take L-arginine.
5. Eat watermelon. It’s not an herb, but it has properties that might help increase the size and duration of erections in a similar way to arginine. Watermelon contains an amino acid called citrulline, which gets converted into arginine and leads to the dilation of blood vessels. The fact that watermelon contains citrulline is a relatively new finding, so no studies have been conducted to find out how well it really works or how much watermelon you’d have to eat to see the benefits. However, since watermelon is considered a superfood when it comes to men’s health, you can’t go wrong by eating plenty of it while it’s in season.